The new SUNET network is here!
They are not good enoughMost of us might think on these issues in technically terms. I will leave it to others to discuss about Spanning Tree protocol, H.323 and IPv4 is «good enough». I might add «they are not», and should immediataly be announced war upon by everyone reading this Blog. The most intriguing thing happening with the «good enough» attitude from IT recources wich I would like to discuss is actually what it makes to the users in your company. There might be a lot of frustration on IT, and how they provide services to the work force. We are all used to ready services from Google and its likes at home, and maybe previous employer, and getting int to framework of an IT department can be hard.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)We’ve all heard about the BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) buzz word the last three years. What it actually brings is «Bring Your Own Service» into the company. Because the company do not provide the apps and applications that are ready at hand on your smartphone and tablet, and because the company infrastructure and applications are not easy to access, users change behaviour:
- WLAN services are not build for smartphones and tablets, users use public 3G/4G services even in the office
- E-mail attachements over x MB are not supported, DropBox and GMail are used for transfering larger files
- Company phone and video services are dispersed into silos with little federation and integration, cellular phone and Skype/Hangouts prevail
- Complex VPN solution are not supported, thick client applications are avoided, orders/CRM updates might be delayed for days
- And access to the Intranet/File Folders are neither supported, Google Docs and DropBox works anytime, anyplace, anydevice